October 20, 2019
Maturity in Christ
Sermon by Brother Jason
Scripture reading taken from Ephesians 4: 1-6 & Ephesians 4: 11-16
14 Then we will no longer be infants, tossed back and forth by the waves, and blown here and there by every wind of teaching and by the cunning and craftiness of people in their deceitful scheming.
As a prisoner for the Lord, then, I urge you to live a life worthy of the calling you have received. Maturity happens through the body of leaders (Church)
THE CHRISTIAN LIFE IS A JOURNEY, LEADING TO MATURITY
- As a prisoner for the Lord, then, I urge you to live a life worthy of the calling you have received.
- Idea of continuous movement towards a goal – which is spiritual maturity
- 4 For he chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight. (Ephesians 1:4)
- 12 in order that we, who were the first to put our hope in Christ, might be for the praise of his glory.. (Ephesians 1:12)
- 14 who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God’s possession—to the praise of his glory.
THIS JOURNEY TO MATURITY IS WITH OTHER BELIEVERS (THE LOCAL CHURCH) (EPH. 4:1-6)
- Us being mature with other believers
- 2 Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. 3 Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace.
- 6 one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all.
GOD GIVES ROLES IN THE CHURCH FOR THE MINISTRY OF THE BELIEVERS (EPH. 4:11-14)
- 7 But to each one of us grace has been given as Christ apportioned it. 8 This is why it[a] says:
- “When he ascended on high, he took many captives
- and gave gifts to his people.”[b]
- 9 (What does “he ascended” mean except that he also descended to the lower, earthly regions[c]? 10 He who descended is the very one who ascended higher than all the heavens, in order to fill the whole universe.)
- The higher up you are the more you serve people.
- 19 Consequently,you are no longer foreigners and strangers, but fellow citizens with God’s people and also members of his household, 20 built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, with Christ Jesus himself as the chief cornerstone. (Ephesians 2 : 19-20)
- Role of Evangelist –
- Role of Pastor –
- Teachers – who teach the word of God
- Main role of the leaders of the church – 12 to equip his people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up
14 Then we will no longer be infants, tossed back and forth by the waves, and blown here and there byevery wind of teaching and by the cunning and craftiness of people in their deceitful scheming.
WE MATURE TOGETHER IN CHRIST’S LIKENESS TO BE HIS BODY (EPH. 4:15-16)
- 15 Instead, speaking the truth in love, we will grow to become in every respect the mature body of him who is the head, that is,
- 16 From him the whole body, joined and held together by every
- supporting ligament, grows and builds itself up in love, as each part does its work.
- Local Church is necessary for spiritual growth in maturity.
- We must be grounded in God’s word.
- We have governing leaders in the church who will prepare us
- in the ministry.